Sunday, April 3, 2011
Carmen III
Here's my third poem! I started out in elegiac couplet, but elegiac couplet is HARD, especially when you've got a few specific words you just want to fit in there, doggone it. So I switched back to good old dactylic hexameter.

Carmen III: "Dixit me puer esse renidentem sibi bellam"

Dixit me puer esse renidentem sibi bellam.
Laetificat me magnopere ut putet ille puer nunc,
Ex enim primum tempore ego hunc cognoscebam ubi, inquam,
Esse virum iustum et bellum rectumque putabam,
Esse venustum illum, inquam. Nunc et opinor ego false
Me a viro amari esse illo. Et nunc arbitro ego vere
Invicem ego et vir sive beavissemus alacros
Si tempus passum esset nos esse simul tunc.
Mox discedet amatam urbem nostrum vir et umquam
Non fortasse redibit ad urbem, eheu, puer ille, hunc!
O, mea inepta puella! O cur nunc pateris tu
hanc tuum imaginem ineptam, cara, invadere pectus?
Nam nunc quaeres illum, frustra, care sed ineque
Ille enim quaeret te nequaquam, non memorantem.



"The boy said that I am beautiful to him when I smile. It makes me happy that the boy thinks this now, for from the time when I first met him, I say, I thought that he was a just, handsome, virtuous man; that he was charming. And now I imagine falsely that I am loved by that man. And now I wonder whether he and I would have made each other happy if time then would have allowed us to be together. Soon, the boy will leave my beloved city, and alas, perhaps he will never return to it. O my foolish girl! O why would you let this silly thought enter into your heart? Now you will miss him dearly but unequally, in vain, for he will not miss you at all, not remembering you."
posted by Kristin @ 1:23 AM  
2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home
 
About Me


Name: Kristin
Home: Pittsburgh, PA, United States
About Me: Seeking my true Fatherland as I travel this spiritual journey with Our Lord Jesus Christ. I hope, with the help of God, to follow in the example of the saints and strive for holiness.
See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives
Links
Free Blogger Templates