Sunday, December 13, 2009
Snow Day and CCD
Well, my CCD class was cancelled for the morning due to ice and freezing rain. Unfortunately, though I wanted to go to the High Mass (Latin Mass) at St. Boniface, I hear the parkway is closed, so I don't think I'll be able to get there. I suppose I'll just be walking to the Oratory at 11.

It's kind of a throwback to the olden days of Pittsburgh, how it must have been when the immigrants first came over. Visit any of the communities around the city, and you'll see two, three, four, or even more churches, Catholic or Protestant, within blocks of each other. Because this was before the time when many immigrants had cars, they all erected their own churches hearkening back to their cultural heritages (be it Italian, Croatian, Polish, Irish, etc, etc, etc), and as a result, many churches arose in the same neighborhoods, and residents had enough churches around that they could walk to Mass every Sunday. (Given that many had no cars, they had to walk.) So today, on this "snow" day, as a 4th generation Pittsburgher, I will be partaking in the tradition of my ancestors and walking to the neighborhood church for Mass. It's almost exciting that it's a "snow" day when you look at it that way. :-D
posted by Kristin @ 9:50 AM  
1 Comments:
  • At December 14, 2009 at 1:47 PM, Blogger Caitlin said…

    I had a whole Christmas party planned for my CCD kids yesterday. Veggie tales, cookies, and a lesson about advent. Too bad nobody showed up!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home
 
About Me


Name: Kristin
Home: Pittsburgh, PA, United States
About Me: Seeking my true Fatherland as I travel this spiritual journey with Our Lord Jesus Christ. I hope, with the help of God, to follow in the example of the saints and strive for holiness.
See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives
Links
Free Blogger Templates